By J. M. de la Portilla,Marco Ceccarelli
The convention sequence is geared toward bringing jointly researchers, students and scholars from a vast variety of disciplines relating the historical past of Engineering and Cultural historical past, in a distinct multidisciplinary discussion board to stimulate collaboration between historians, architects, restaurateurs, and engineers.
These papers illustrate, by way of treating particular emblematic issues and difficulties, technical advancements within the old evolution of engineering referring to cultural historical past. therefore, emphasis is given to a dialogue of issues of cultural historical past with engineering historical past through reporting authors’ reviews and perspectives.
Topics taken care of contain: reutilization of commercial history: the original instance of the Royal Segovia Mint in Spain; a twin of factories; Pedro Juan De Lastanosa and “the twenty-one books of units and machines of Juanelo”; the historic improvement of paper-mills and their machines in South Latium in the course of nineteenth century; a digital reconstruction of a wave-powered flour mill from 1801; 3D modelling and animation research of the commercial historical past wonders; a new version of the hydraulic computing device referred to as “el artificio de Juanelo”; and the secret of 1 Havana portrait, at the first steam laptop in Cuba.
This paintings has been made attainable due to the invited authors who've enthusiastically shared this initiative and who've frolicked and energy in getting ready the papers in even more element that during the convention presentations.
By Gregg Carter
This updated second-edition paintings will stimulate and make clear readers' pondering at the key concerns surrounding weapons within the United States—especially at the debate over gun control.
• presents a balanced view of the modern gun debate within the usa, explaining the positions of either gun rights proponents and advocates of stricter gun keep an eye on with out demonizing either
• attracts on an enormous array of study in criminology, heritage, legislations, medication, politics, and social technological know-how to supply some of the most complete single-source references on gun issues
• offers present and historic information on U.S. gun violence—including homicides, suicides, and unintended shoots—and areas those numbers opposed to overseas data on gun violence, thereby offering the context to let readers to arrive their very own opinion at the gun debate
By Mark Overmyer-Velazquez
A Hispanic and Latino presence in what's now the USA is going again to Spanish payment within the 16th century in Florida and the revolutionary U.S. conquest of the Spanish-controlled territory of California and the Southwest by means of 1853 and the Gadsden buy. Mexicans during this newly American territory needed to fight to carry directly to their land. The missed heritage and the debates over new immigration from Mexico and valuable the US are illuminated by way of this primary state-by-state heritage of individuals termed Latinos or Hispanics. a lot of this knowledge is tough to discover and hasn't ever been researched earlier than. scholars and different readers can be capable of hint the Latino presence via time in step with country via a chronology and historic evaluation and skim approximately noteworthy Latinos within the kingdom and the cultural contributions Latinos have made to groups in that kingdom. Taken jointly, a extra entire photograph of Latinos emerges. the data permits figuring out of the present status-where the Latino presence is now, what forms of paintings they're doing, and the way they're faring in locations with just a small Latino presence.
All 50 states and the District of Columbia are lined in person chapters. A chronology starts off the bankruptcy, giving the most dates of Latino presence and critical occasions and inhabitants figures. The old review is the center of the bankruptcy. the solid of Latino presence and the way they've got made their livelihood besides family members with non-Latinos are mentioned. A awesome Latinos part then offers a couple of brief biographical profiles. Cultural contributions are showcased within the ultimate part, by means of a bibliography. a specific bibliography and pictures supplement the chapters.
By Marco Ceccarelli
By Jacqueline Scott,Judith Treas,Martin Richards
- Contains unique essays through professional members on quite a lot of subject matters on the subject of the sociology of families.
- Includes insurance of social inequality, parenting practices, children’s paintings, the altering styles of citizenship, and multi-cultural families.
- Gives distinctive awareness to eu and North American examples.
- Discusses formerly missed teams, together with immigrant households and gays and lesbians.
- Explores how progressive alterations in getting older, durability, and sexual habit have greatly affected the adventure of other generations, and the relationships among them.
By Paul D. Buchanan
This well timed new e-book explores the formation of the unconventional Feminist circulation of the Nineteen Sixties and Seventies, its trendy leaders and enterprises, and the problems it sought to address.
• Biographical profiles of renowned participants and firms serious about Radical Feminism
• a first-rate files part, highlighting very important works from the novel Feminist period
• pictures and illustrations
• Tables and sidebars
• Timelines of the unconventional Feminist period and its historic precedents
• A word list defining phrases pertinent to Radical Feminism
By Robert Kellner
This quantity is a part of a 2001 reissue of a range of these very important works that have due to the fact that long gone out of print, or are tough to find. released by way of Routledge, 112 volumes in overall are being introduced jointly lower than the identify The overseas Behavioural and Social Sciences Library: Classics from the Tavistock Press.
Reproduced right here in facsimile, this quantity was once initially released in 1963 and is obtainable separately. the gathering can be on hand in a few themed mini-sets of among five and thirteen volumes, or as a whole collection.
By Helen Rosenau
The inspiration of the 'ideal urban' is, maybe, extra very important at the present time - whilst planners and designers are so firmly restrained through issues of our speedy atmosphere - than ever prior to. but it's a thought which has profoundly prompted the western international all through historical past, either as a regulative version and as an inspiration.
Rosenau lines the development of the concept that from biblical resources in the course of the hellenistic and Roman empires to the Renaissance and the later Age of Enlightenment, while the emphasis shifted from non secular to social concerns. She is going directly to talk about the ensuing nineteenth-century excellent making plans, while the assumption of social betterment used to be approached with a selected and awake effort.
This e-book used to be first released in 1983.
By Helaine Selin
This paintings offers with the clinical wisdom and ideology of cultures outdoor of the us and Europe. as well as articles surveying Islamic, chinese language, local American, Aboriginal Australian, Indian, Egyptian, and Tibetan medication, the ebook contains essays on evaluating chinese language and western medication and faith and medication. each one essay is definitely illustrated and includes an in depth bibliography.
By Huping Ling,Allan W. Austin,Allan Austin